Current Notices

Year 12 Academic Reviews

Picture of J Woodburn (Staff)
Year 12 Academic Reviews
by J Woodburn (Staff) - Wednesday, 11 October 2017, 12:10 PM

Dear Parents and Guardians

By now I think the novelty of being a Sixth Former is wearing off a little and the reality of the demands of A Levels are beginning to sink in.  I have had many conversations with staff who are very positive about the way in which students have settled and I hope that any initial teething problems have been resolved.

I am emailing to confirm some dates on the horizon which are approaching.  Firstly the first set of effort grades, working at grades and target grades will be available on line at the end of this half term and Sixth Formers will be able to see their trackers which also have three grades based on prior data – namely their GCSE results.  This should help give you a picture of how the first half term has been going but, as always, don’t wait for this if you ever feel there are any issues which need discussing.   If you are new to QES the IT Support department should have contacted you with details on how to log in to view this data. Please let us know if you haven’t received this.

After half term, week commencing Monday 30th October, is a week of Year 12 Academic Reviews.  Sixth Formers should be making appointments with their Form Tutors over the next few weeks for you to join them to discuss this tracker and review how they have settled in to Sixth Form life. Please note – these take place on different days and in different venues depending of Forms and Form Tutors so it is very important that students arrange this with Tutors and communicate with you about the date, time and place.  There will also be an opportunity to chat about their plans for ‘Activities’ Week’ – a week in July when we ask Year 12 to arrange different activities off site – from work experience to University Open Days.  We find it really helpful if parents can come to these meetings but if for some reason you cannot make this one, please email Mrs Woodburn at j.woodburn@queenelizabeth.cumbria.sch.uk. 

Also on the horizon is Competitive Courses Evening on Tuesday 7th November at 6.00pm in the Main Hall.  This is an information evening for parents of students who are considering applying to the most selective and competitive universities and courses, in particular medicine, veterinary science, dentistry and universities like Oxford and Cambridge. This evening does not replace our Higher Education evening in June or the other UCAS, apprenticeship and gap year advice and support we offer throughout the year.

All QES students have also been invited to the QEStudio Apprenticeship Evening on 12th October, please see http://www.qestudio.org.uk/apprenticeshipevening/ for more information.

Yours sincerely

Pete Rushton

Head of Sixth Form